I don’t usually have juice in the house. It is not a whole food and can shoot your blood sugar up like no tomorrow. So when the POM Wonderful people sent me some pomegranate juice I wasn’t really sure what I would do with it.
Because I am so sensitive to sugar I use juice as a sweetener, which means I use it very sparingly. So when I wanted to create a sweet and sour kale dish the pomegranate juice was a natural choice for a sweetener. It’s sweet and fruity flavor is a great balance for the slightly bitter kale. The pomegranate fruit we had on hand lended a nice texture and color contrast.
I could eat a huge bowl of this as a meal, which is not something I would normally say about kale. I served it alongside coconut chicken curry and brown rice for my boys. It would make a beautiful addition to a Thanksgiving table, especially considering the fact that it can sit in a warm oven for quite some time before being served. It’s also a lovely blend of colors, which means it’s not bad on the eyes either.
On a totally unrelated note… I have a very exciting giveaway coming up, so be on the look out!
Sweet & Sour Braised Kale with Pomegranate
- 1 bunch of kale, approximately 7-10 large leaves, chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, lard, or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Warm up a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil/grease and allow to melt. Add chopped kale and saute for 3-5 minutes with a pinch of salt, until leaves have wilted slightly.
- Add pomegranate juice and apple cider vinegar to pan and cook for another 2 minutes or so, until liquid has evaporated by about half.
- Transfer kale to an oven-proof covered dish and place in preheated oven. Allow to braise for at least 20 minutes, or until the rest of your meal is ready to serve.
- Remove from oven, taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if necessary. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.
A thank you to POM wonderful for supplying me with a sample of their juice.