IMGP4782

IMGP4783

IMGP4798

IMGP4807

IMGP4816

IMGP4820

IMGP4832

Do you remember that day one of us said “I can’t take it anymore, I’m going to the garden.”?Well, that someone was the Papa there, and while everyone seemed to be having a particularly rough day, the garlic was also ready to be harvested to make way for some beans.

So, to the garden we went and harvest the garlic we did. I couldn’t tell you exactly how many heads we harvested, but that big tote Stewart is carrying was plumb full. Those heads are currently drying across a large folding table.

We’ll save some of the harvest for next year’s seed. We’ll probably hang a whole bunch for eating fresh. I’ll probably also put up some lacto-fermented garlic since it’s a simple way to pop a clove when you need it.

The boys helped Papa pull up the these bulbs, Annabelle supervised from her stroller, and I documented it all with the camera. After that everyone’s troubles, big and small, seemed to melt away.

It’s hard to keep on having a bad day when you witness children say things like “This whole big head of garlic grew from one clove? WOW!”

Wow, indeed.

8 Responses to The Garlic Harvest

1. Amalia says:

Just wanted to say, I love reading your blog and seeing what your family is up to! It is so inspiring to see! Thanks for taking us along on your journey!

2. Laurl says:

When you ferment the garlic, do you cut the root end off when you peel them? And to that end, could you do the same process with garlic that you have sliced? I usually roast garlic when I buy it in bulk and then freeze it in half-heads “worth” of garlic. But, this sounds like a great alternative.

3. That is so awesome! We’ve had a massive garden failure this year and so we are trying to figure out the best next step. Glad to see you are harvesting something. I want to grow garlic someday…

4. Keith Jones says:

That’s great! What a blessing. It seems like God always brings us moments of joy when we need it most. God bless you all, your journey is very inspiring!

5. Cynthia says:

Bountiful Blessings………Indeed

6. sally mae says:

Well done!! We have been getting way too much rain of late so I’m getting worried my garden is going to drown out. Wish I could send you some!

7. Cindy says:

Nice! I have a 4 X 4 bed of garlic going crazy that I cannot wait to harvest. How fun to get to do it several weeks early, vicariously through you. That tub amazes me — that is quite a harvest!

8. [...] green beans, and peppers you can eat. I combine a few of these, cut into noodle shapes, with our homegrown garlic and sunflower seeds for extra crunch and [...]