One of the reasons I wanted to write this series was simply for my own knowledge. Another reason was because you don’t hear a lot about this problem in the mainstream medical discussion. So when many of you said that you had been diagnosed or suspected that you had it I was quite surprised.
I’m not going to pretend like I know anything about this condition, except my personal experience and my own research. All of the findings in this series are simply my compilation of the research of many, much more qualified individuals.
Do You Have Adrenal Fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue can manifest itself in many different ways. I have read lists of up to 30 different symptoms, all of which could be seemingly caused by anything. When I found several lists of symptoms I noticed that, while I didn’t have them all, I did have some. Looking at them collectively I knew that it was time to look a bit more into adrenal fatigue.
Possible List of Symptoms:
- Excessive fatigue or exhaustion
- Not feeling rested after plenty of sleep
- Inability to lose weight
- Difficult to bounce back from injury, illness, stress or exercise
- Cravings for salty and/or sweet things
- Low blood pressure
- Low libido
- Excessive thirst and urination
- Needing caffeine to get going in the morning
- Excess hunger or, on the other extreme, lack of appetite
It appears as though the most reliable test is a saliva test. This test takes saliva samples at different times of the day in order to measure your stress hormone levels. It appears as though you can either have a doctor prescribe this test or order one online. (see recommended reading).
The following are articles and sites that I used extensively in researching the symptoms and diagnosis of adrenal fatigue:
- Dr. James Wilson’s Adrenal Fatigue
- 30 symptoms of adrenal fatigue
- Eighteen Overlooked Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
- Dr. Lam’s Adrenal Fatigue
In the next part of the series we’ll address the cause of adrenal fatigue.
Do you see some of your "mysterious" symptoms in the list above? How are you recovering your adrenal health?