feb-16-pics-204

Note: I have updated my about page to include some additional information and a picture.

For health reasons we are going to try going grain free for about a month and see how we feel. I have been off of grains for the most part for a while, but now the whole family is going to get in on it.

We are doing a modified version of the GAPS diet in the hopes that our guts will finally heal from the antibiotics and poor diets we once had. We are also having guests for a few days this week so there are things like beans, sourdough bread and corn tortillas on the menu for them.

I am not entirely convinced that grains are that good for you, even if soaked/sprouted and prepared properly. But I have another post in the works about that.

As usual lunch is generally leftovers or a salad. Here is our menu for the week:

Monday

Tuesday

• breakfast: poached eggs over leftover greens, oranges
  • dinner: hamburgers, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli, salad w/ homemade dressing
  • prep: strain chicken stock, make yogurt

Wednesday

• breakfast: eggs & sausage, sauteed mushrooms, oranges
  • dinner: sunflower seed pizza, braised cabbage
  • prep: chop vegetables for breakfast, start pizza crust in morning

Thursday

• breakfast: eggs, potato-free “homefries”, oranges
  • dinner: greens quiche, sourdough toast, blueberry-coconut smoothies, roasted sweet potatoes
  • prep: soak beans in morning

Friday

• breakfast: leftover quiche, smoothies
  • dinner: taco salad/tostadas with beans (for guests) with guacamole and homemade salsa, carrot cake cookies
  • prep: start beans in morning, bake cookies

Saturday

• breakfast: smoothies
  • dinner: nitrate free hot dogs, salad, fruit
  • prep: none

Looking for more menu plans?

10 Responses to Grain Free Menu Plan

1. Ricki says:

Best of luck going grain-free! I’ve tried similar diets for shorter periods (based on Elaine Gottschall’s SCD) and found it challenging–but very helpful. I’m about to embark on an anti-candida diet, so our menu plans will overlap in many ways.

Just wondering what you put into your potato-free “home fries”–will you be posting a recipe?

Ricki’s last blog post..Three Shindigs and a Mid-Term (Break)

2. Helen says:

Doug Kaufmann of http://www.knowthecause.com advocates a Phase One diet that starves mold, yeast, fungus from your system and gets rid of inflammation in your body. I know that it works!

You can view his daily show(30min) on the website Monday-Friday.

His Phase One diet outline is on the website under Frequently Asked Questions.

3. Son of Grok says:

Thanks for the link! Hopefully those caveman cookies help with any grain cravings!

The SoG

Son of Grok’s last blog post..My New Favorite Snack

4. Motherhen68 says:

I’d also like to know what your “home fries” are going to be. We eat low-carb (though my kids still eat some whole grains) and I’m always looking for other low carb replacements to high carb favorites.

I make a radish hash that’s actually really good. The radishes become soft and mild and resemble potatoes more than anything else I’ve tried.

I hope you post your recipe!

Motherhen68’s last blog post..Daybook 3/2/09

5. Thanks for the SF pizza link! I hope you like it! Let me know how it turns out for you. We liked it, but the expectations have to allow for a bit more crumbliness w/o the gluten :) .

Looks like a great menu! I am so glad to have a fellow paleo meal planner!

Carrie Thienes’s last blog post..Menu Plan Monday: Fridge & Pantry Cleanout

6. Thanks for the SF pizza link! I hope you like it! Let me know how it turns out for you. We liked it, but the expectations have to allow for a bit more crumbliness w/o the gluten :) .

Looks like a great menu! I am so glad to have a fellow paleo meal planner!

7. Elizabeth says:

I have really enjoyed your blog and an learning a lot. We get raw milk and I am making things with that, and we also buy organic meat. I have a lot to learn in the grain department, I am not even soaking at this point. I really look forward to your post on why you think we should be grain free.

8. FoodRenegade says:

Oh yay! Another Nourishing Traditions-friendly paleo dieter. Welcome to the fold, sister.

9. Amy says:

I want to try going grain-free sometime but am a shameful grain/carb addict and even a grain free day to be daunting :( Maybe your efforts will inspire me? ;)

Amy’s last blog post..Kitchen Basics: Kimchi Making

Ricki & Motherhen – Yes, I will definitely post a recipe for the homefries, if they work out :) . This is my first go out them.