june-3-2009-386

Turnips are great in that not only are the roots delicious and nutritious but, so are the greens. But, if you aren’t wild about the flavor of greens, then a quiche is a great way to hide them.

We like quiche so much, in fact, that when it’s not too hot we eat a greens quiche about once a week. It is endlessly versatile and extremely forgiving. As a bonus – leftovers are always delicious.

And if you are blessed, as I was, to be able to obtain all of your ingredients from local farmers it will be even tastier.

Turnip Greens Quiche

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 4 spring onions or 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic scapes or ~4-5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup cooked bacon or other meat
  • 2 bunches of turnip greens (~ 4 cups chopped)
  • 12 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups cheese, grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Saute onions and garlic in butter until softened.
  2. Stir in pre-cooked meat (or throw meat in with onions and garlic) and turnip greens. Saute the greens until slightly wilted. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. In a large bowl crack eggs and mix in milk, cheese, black pepper, salt and mustard powder. Stir in greens mixture.
  4. Pour egg mixture into a buttered 9×13″ pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until center is set and edges are just golden brown. Serve with a fresh green salad.

This post is a contribution to Tammy’s recipe swap, real food wednesdays and works for me wednesday.

13 Responses to Turnip Greens Quiche

1. This sounds great! Do you think it would work with chard as well? We are trying this new to us veggie and I’m trying to figure out kid friendly ways of fixing it. I wilted it and dressed it with salt and live oil. It was good, but very strong.

2. Denise says:

do i dare admit that i have never tried turnips – i have had plenty of chard!

3. Cara says:

This looks great! I always need new quiche recipes to liven things up.

4. Denise says:

regarding your comment on my blog, yes! I used to be the one that coveted what others had – clothes, cars, especially nice homes. I am so glad that I grown away from that. Our church does talk on contentment a lot. I’m glad for that.

5. Chef Rachel says:

Sounds delish! I have found turnip greens, mustard greens, and chard pretty interchangeable in recipes. I have made a fabulous Chard & Feta Pie recipe from Jesse Ziff Cool’s book, Your Organic Kitchen. I’ve made the same recipe using other greens w/great success. If using kale, it’s best to parboil the kale or cook it longer because it has tougher leaves.

6. I won’t have turnips in my garden again until winter. The greens on mine are spiny; they are easier to eat in something instead of on their own.

I like spinach (raw or cooked) and swiss chard (cooked), but I only have chard growing in my garden now.

I put some turnip greens in my minestrone soup in winter, but I never thought to try them out in a quiche!

7. FoodRenegade says:

We do a quiche just like this, but we use Swiss cheese. It’s fantastic!

8. Tammy L says:

Thanks for submitting this recipe, Shannon! :) I was wondering if you would mind linking back to the in-season recipe swap as well. :) Thank you! :)

Tammy

9. [...] quiche (I use coconut milk to make this GAPS-legal and I typically use more than ¼ cup of [...]

10. Chef Alan says:

I just made a quiche based off this recipe…It was delicious! Everyone who tried it wanted more and these weren’t the people who know what a quiche is, or what anything not on the dollar menu is for that matter.
    I added a red pepper, substituted olive oil for butter, used minced garlic and summer squash (yellow zucchini – or how it was introduced to me), vanilla almond milk and a secret citrus ghost pepper “jelly”, which I make.
    Same time, same amount…I had to audible with what I had on hand…and I’m a vegetarian…so here’s a way to do it without the meat…Kudos! Great recipe!

11. smoaksmom says:

Try chard in burritos. I’m sure you can find a recipe online. That is how I like them. :)

Laryssa – this would definitely work with chard. I use greens interchangeably in cooked recipes such as this. Chard is a little less hardy so it wilts down a bit more like spinach.

Yep, sorry Tammy!