NOTE: The Recipe Index has finally been updated.

When I put breakfast ice cream on our menus last week y’all jumped all over it. I can’t say that I blame you. Ice cream is my favorite food… so is peanut butter… and chocolate… and cream. But I digress.

My goal with this is to serve something really cold on a hot morning. This allows us to stay cool when we don’t have air conditioning and more importantly keeps the kitchen cool.

This dish is basically a super smoothie in soft-serve ice cream form. I pack as many nutrient dense foods full of protein and good fats as I possibly can. The possibilities are endless, but I will share with you the version that my family has been loving lately.

Oh and I have a low-carb, dairy-free, egg nog version of this that I am enjoying.

Very Berry Breakfast Ice Cream

Recipe Notes: I usually serve this alongside something else, especially for the men. Leftover oatmeal, buckwheat, or coconut flour pancakes keep the entire breakfast cook-free. This also makes a great dessert to a big salad on a hot night.

Ingredients

• ~ 3 cups frozen berries
  • 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight with a pinch of salt
  • 1-2 raw eggs or egg yolks
  • 1-1 1/2 cups whole milk yogurt or coconut milk
  • 1-2 T chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of stevia or 1-2 tablespoons raw honey

Directions

1. Add frozen berries to food processor. Pulse a few times to break them up. Add all other ingredients and blend until desired consistency, 2-4 minutes.
  2. Adjust thickness by adding more fruit or yogurt/milk. Adjust sweetness to taste. Enjoy!

Do you have any no-cook breakfast ideas?

13 Responses to Very Berry Breakfast Ice Cream

1. For a no-cook breakfast, I like cottage cheese on a peach. I hope you’ll come check out No Whine Wednesday: http://blog.foodonthetable.com/2010/07/no-whine-wednesday-spinach/ Our theme is Spinach!

2. Tricia S says:

MMMmmm!! All I can say is I can’t wait until our budget allows us to purchase an ice cream maker! I recently tried to make some without the machine, but it just didn’t turn out right. It was a brick. I figure I probably didn’t do the stirring thing long enough, I was coming back every 15 minutes to whisk it up, but probably only did that for an hour and a half. This looks delish!!

3. Mr. S says:

I know I’m biased, but this was fantastic!!!!! Healthy ice cream. :-)

4. This is great! We like to make thick smoothies for desserts on a hot night, and we have had them for breakfast as well – I love the color of yours, it looks lovely!

We also enjoy on hot days yogurt soaked meusli and oat cakes with cheese or smoked fish.

5. Meagan says:

Yes, finally the breakfast ice cream! I have actually done this before :) I would be VERY interested in hearing about this EGGNOG version. And your favorite foods, chocolate, peanut butter, cream.. they’re mine too!

6. I really love this idea! I made egg nog over the winter for the first time and loved it but hadn’t thought of making something similar for breakfast. This looks really delicious – thanks!

7. lisa says:

I’m not familiar with Chia seeds- would ground flax seeds work as a replacement?

8. Denise says:

just copied this down! thank you.

9. THANK YOU for sharing this recipe. Sounds delicious. How do you make the dairy-free version? coconut milk?

10. Margo says:

Yogurt parfaits make for an easy no-bake breakfast. Simply layer your yogurt, nuts and fruits of choice and voila! you have a tasty breakfast! Granola can be sprinkled on as well for a little more substance and crunch.

11. [...] are more healthy ice cream recipes from other food bloggers: -Very Berry Breakfast Ice Cream from Shannon of Nourishing Days -Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream by Ali of [...]

12. Sandy says:

I’m a little concerned about the raw eggs…

Sandy – I’m not, but I wouldn’t touch a raw grocery store egg with a ten foot pole :) .